Okay, not a compulsion.. o_O
I want to tell you two things:
Sometimes, the signature look we have adopted for ourselves can cripple us. I had been sporting winged black eyeliner for many years, only with change in lipstick color. I wear smokey eyes and colored eyeliners only occasionally. That changed completely one day (4 months back, to be precise). As I was getting ready in morning for work and was about to draw lines on my eyes using my black eyeliner, my hands stopped. I felt bored. I was in a mood for wearing a subtle bright pink lipstick that day. I had a quick glance at my eyeliners and picked up a navy blue eye pencil. I drew the lines, noticed the change and felt so good.
I and my friend were waiting in a restaurant for the waiter to get the bill. I noticed a lady (somewhere in her 50s, I guess) entering. She sat right across my table and I couldn’t stop staring at her for a few seconds. I realized how beautifully she had done her eyes. She wore a dark purple eyeliner which was sealed with a very thin stroke of black eyeliner, so as to not allow any skin to show. She was wearing a peach blush and peachy brown lipstick along with that. She looked lovely! Her makeup complemented her all-white outfit perfectly.
What I have learned:
– You can rock a colored eyeliner look without looking like a 13 year old.
– When summers arrive, colored eyeliners can help you strike a statement with your makeup without any piling.
– You should be in love with them even more if you are a fan of lipsticks that fall in color families like brown, peach and nude.
– Breaking out of a makeup rut without adding extra time in your beauty routine is easy if you have colored eyeliners by your side.
How I pick colored eyeliners
– Formula is the top most priority, as is the case with other eyeliners of mine. I cannot afford to wear a colored eyeliner that smudges by mid-day or transfers to my upper lids. I will show you my favourite ones below.
– When I am in store and testing a new eyeliner, I swatch them on my wrist. I wait for 2-5 minutes in store and then, rub my finger slightly on them to see if they have settled or not. If they haven’t, it’s time to move on. If some eyeliners have, I move out from the store and carry on with my other shopping. I check the swatches after some 4 hours or so. I rub those swatches with my fingers again. If they are still intact, they are mine!
– When it comes to choosing colors, I like to experiment.
How I wear colored eyeliners
– I never wear it as an eyeliner alone. After drawing a colored line, I always seal it with a thin Black line. This helps me create an illusion of a fuller lash line and also, helps me to not allow any skin to show.
– I also use them to line my lower water line. Sometimes.
– I am fan of using liquid gold and liquid silver eyeliner on my lower lash line, especially when I’m doing smokey eyes. I have small eyes and lining my lower lash line using Gold/Silver really opens them. For an intense effect, I first line my lower water line using gold/silver pencil eyeliner.
– If I am wearing a deep/dark colored eyeliner, it’s okay for me to wear a complimenting bright lipstick. If I have opted for a bright eyeliner, I choose to go with soft lipstick shades that don’t interfere with the bright look.
– Always remember, your colored eyeliner should be the focus of your look.
Pictures of me wearing colored eyeliners in different ways
My favourite colored eyeliners
If you are starting out with colored eyeliners, this is my single most important advise:
Please give yourself time. You won’t embrace the change immediately. Start wearing it at home so that when you glance at mirror, you don’t feel the need of removing it then and there.
Now, you tell me! Do you wear colored eyeliners? What are your favourite ones? If you have any questions, just drop them in the comments section below! ^_^