You know how there are some who live like there’s no tomorrow, especially the ones who seem to be awakened on the very first day of a new year. It’s like the adrenaline rush in their head just pumped some “YOLO” feelings into them. So, they end up spending their entire year’s savings in the first week itself- signing up for a dance class, yoga class, new language class, baking class, personality development class, an overseas trip that’s likely to take place around their birthday, a new camera, a new wardrobe, 20 books, blah blah..basically trying to become a new YOU! And borrowing money for the rest of the year from the new people they meet in their classes..
And then, there are people like me whose only motto of life is..NO! WAIT! Did I just say “only?” I meant “majorly”.. “To buy makeup like there’s no tomorrow.” Not just makeup, all things CUTE! We don’t care how sad our bank balance looks because we’re more focussed on not letting that cute pom pom sweater get sold out and give us sleepless nights thinking why we didn’t buy it in the first place.
I don’t discuss the other category here much, on which I spend an equally obnoxious amount of money- Books.
The two things I was sick of seeing growing in abundance in my cupboard, drawers, bags, pockets were- Book and makeup products. My mind had stopped working seeing so much of clutter in my cupboards. I’m a quite organized person and this situation wasn’t doing me any good. Surprisingly enough, I lost interest in buying new makeup all of a sudden- especially eye makeup and lip makeup. Not completely but to a major extent. As for books, I am trying to be a kindle person as and when I can. I cannot eliminate physical books from my life but I’m trying to put a control on them as much as I can.
These are the other beauty changes that took place for me in 2017:
– I went from a winged eyeliner to a simple eyeliner girl around July-August.
– I don’t remember the last time I used a black eyeliner to line my eyes completely. I have been living on bronze/brown eyeliners and simple smokey eyes with just a thin black line drawn over them. Also, very low-maintenance.
– I have started to embrace kajal and these smokey eyes. This is the eye makeup I wear on most days. Fixing eyeshadow in crease line every 3 hours is a different 1 minute story though. No, 30 seconds.
– Applying oil mixed with a moisturizer before using a foundation has become a ritual.
– Full coverage makeup has gone out of the window for me.
– I have waved goodbye to purchasing just any new launch, especially the hyped ones.
– I found the best primer for my oily, dehydrated skin in Clinique moisture surge extended moisturizer.
– I have been wearing only nude/brown lip colors for more than 3 months now.
– Switching from Black to brown mascaras on most day.
– I threw/donated unused/expired makeup (mostly and lipsticks not included). I was kinda shocked to discover a lot of brand new makeup lying untouched for over a year. To avoid getting shot from mom, I first kept them in Amazon parcel boxes and then, put them in black paper bags.
Mom: Poori almirah khaali kar di hai kya?
Me: Nahi nahi..woh bas puraani notebooks bhi haina inmein..baaki 3-4 dabbe toh kal hi aaye the, toh woh toh khaali hai..ehihi.
Now, you tell me if you are experiencing a similar situation and whether your makeup preferences changed in the last year or not ^_^